|Compost is made from organic waste|
Compost is different from fertilizer. Compost is best thought of as "food for the soil", whereas fertilizer is best thought of as "food for plants".
Compost can either be purchased or home-made from organic waste in a Composter.
Compost is typically measured by volume. In the NUF Garden Simulator, we use Bags as our standard measure.
Possibly useful conversions:
- 1 Bag = Standard 40 lb bag of compost
- 1 Bag = 1 cubic foot
- 1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet
- 810 lbs of organic waste => 27 bags of compost (requires Composter)
Raising Soil Quality With Compost
You can purchase compost by searching online for a vendor that sells compost. Please post in the forum thread with a link if there is a certain kind you wish to buy.
Here are some cheap bulk compost vendors:
- 5 cubic yards - $195 - Home Depot - (SLC5)
- 1 cubic yard - $50 - IdealCompost (NH, USA) - (Loose, screened)
Making Home-Made Compost
- See article: Composter